Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Silent Visitor - Poem

The Silent Visitor


Our silent visitor
walks beside my daughter
he seems to breathe
distance between my daughter and I
How did he gain such control?

Did I give it away?
What do you do
with a guest that will not leave
Tears stain a silent face
Hands roll up into fists of rage
Muscles lock up
Rocking to and fro
he is still breathing
I reach for her
and she pulls away
No 911 for this tucked away
little girl of mine
I shake and tremble
Was it really a possibility
that love could be expressed

Through so many hours
of unrepressed therapy
"Play" for you readers
a diet at times that I could afford
Sensory Therapy, Occupational Therapy
Physical therapy and
of course Speech Therapy
Teaching signing to my child
How often I heard
"Is she Deaf?"

but through it all
I gave that silent visitor the boot
He comes back and lingers
sometimes
but I am closing that gap
between my daughter and I
with Love
and no one thinks she is deaf.
Angela May 2008



No comments: