Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Sleeping beside me-A poem written on a sleepless Autism night-Do you relate at all?

Sleeping beside me


Sleeping beside me, my daughter slumbers
Her toes are pointed like a Balanchine dancer
I watch her breathing going up and down
A yellow patchwork quilt covers her -
Like the still waters of a pond

Approaching this sanctuary a coldness envelopes us
Someone is breathing- my heart pounds,
Cold breath on skin-Someone is beside us
My arm over my child as a shield over my heartbeat

Autism roars its voice

A stone has been thrown
Ripples disturb this peaceful pond,
this peaceful moment between Mother and Child
She violently jolts spine straight,
awakening screams pierce the air
Every muscle is taut with pain

Autism is breathing beside us

She clings to me- nails deep into my skin
Her ankles are hurting-
All she can say is Bugs bugs!
I massage her calfs where the muscle cramps are

It is 3 in the morning
Afraid to sleep she plays
Cinderella Twist in Time for the third time
She plays in the loose change
I want real change
She piles the loose coins on the floor puzzle
Then walking barefoot on tippy toes
Change spills like a waterfall everywhere
There will be other nights

But tonight we walk on tiptoes

Angela rewritten May 2008

No comments: